Tax-Deferred Annuities

SSU offers a program which allows you to invest a specific amount of your salary on a pre-tax basis. For additional retirement savings, you may elect to choose to contribute to the 403(b) or 457(b) plan or both, which provide options for deferring pretax (and in some cases after-tax) income for retirement saving. What chiefly distinguishes the plans are how they consider and penalize withdrawals.


To enroll in the 403(b) or 457(b) plans, log on to and the USG faculty & Staff Portal. From there you will be able to choose My Retirement@work.

  1. Click Enroll Now on the Retirement@Work home page.
  2. If you want to contribute to one or both voluntary plans, choose how much you’d like to contribute per pay period as a dollar amount, percentage or the maximum contribution amount, and indicate when you want contributions to start.
  3. If you don’t want to contribute to either voluntary plan, you may click on the link in the blue box “Continue to ORP vendor selection without additional contributions.”
  4. Choose if you want to direct all contribution types (e.g., employer and employee pretax and Roth) to the same investment provider(s). Then enter the amount that should go to each provider.
  5. Open an account with the investment provider(s) you selected and choose your investments to complete the enrollment process.
  6. For instructions on how to open an account with TIAA, Fidelty, or AIG/VALIC go to and click on the corresponding provider link under Vendor Information.