SSU Writing Center
The "Write" Place with the "Write" PeopleSSU WRITING CENTER
Monday - Thursday 8:30am - 6:00pm (Last appointment is at 5:30)
Friday 8:30am - 2:00pm (last appointment at 1:30)
Please make an appointment for midterms, finals, presentations, & professor required visits
What We Do
- We work on a one-to-one basis on any writing project - from brainstorming to revision to final touches. We work on essays, lab reports, resumes, formal letters of all types, master's theses, work for publication, etc.
- We help anyone on campus - from freshman to graduate students and from staff to faculty to administrators of SSU.
- We identify your strong and not-so-strong writing habits and help you perfect your strengths and improve your potential strengths.
- We focus on Writing Across the Disciplines to include math, science, history, etc. This focus reflects the SSU QEP - the "Write" attitude.
What We Don't Do
- Edit or change your words or ideas
- Type or write your work
- Take dropped off papers
- Determine or influence your grade (professors do!)
Tips For Success
- Plan to spend 30-60 minutes with your tutor. We cannot run over into another student's or staff's appointment time or take you early if we are working with someone when you come in. For that very reason, be on time for your appointment with your paper already printed.
- Speaking of printing, we do have computers and a printer for your use. If you know you need to print the paper you wish us to help with, come a few minutes early so it's printed before your 30 minute appointment starts. That way, you will get the entire 30 minutes to work on your writing assignment.
- If you plan to use our computers, know your SSU login (user name and password). We do not have access to that information, and we are not encouraged to log you in under our name. You can get this information from SSU computer services by calling 358-HELP (4357) or by visiting Powell Hall, room 106.
- Bring your syllabus or writing assignment/guidelines. We can help you fulfill your writing requirements better if we know what your professor is expecting. Help us help you!