Master of Science in Mathematics
SSU's Master of Science program is the only advanced degree program in the Savannah area.
The Master of Science in Mathematics (MSM) program prepares students for advanced degrees and employment in various math-related areas such as Research, Teaching, National Defense, Public Health, Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Accounting, Medicine, Finance, Nursing, Weather Forecasting, Data Processing.
MSM program applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree in a STEM field from an accredited institution. Only completed applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Completed applications are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Completion of graduate application
- Minimum 2.7 GPA or above preferred on a 4.0 scale
- A statement of purpose (500-1000 words) with detailed reasons for pursuing the MSM degree
- Three academic and/or professional letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Current official GRE score
- Official Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
The Master of Science in Mathematics' degree requires the completion of 30 semester hours of graduate course work and a master's thesis equivalent to 6 credit hours.
Core curriculum: 18 credit hours (Real Analysis I & II, Abstract Algebra I &I I, Advanced Linear Algebra, Number Theory)
Master's thesis I& II: 6 credit hours - Elective requirements: 12 credit hours
Fall: May 15
Spring: October 15