Honors at SSU
Welcome to Honors at SSU! This exciting new program is designed to provide Savannah State University’s exceptional and high-achieving students with innovative honors courses and enriching social and learning activities as they prepare to be global leaders. Honors at SSU will expand on collaborations among faculty, students, and our local, national, and global communities. We support and motivate students as they pursue their academic and professional goals such as study abroad, international internships, research and service learning projects.
Savannah State University
Attn: Honors Program
3219 College Street
Savannah, GA 31404-5254
Joining Honors at SSU
Honors at SSU seeks talented students who want an extraordinary academic and social experience during their four-year journey at SSU. As the program develops, students will enjoy the following benefits:
- Unique and challenging honors courses
- Eligibility for specially designated honors housing
- Priority registration for courses
- Scholarship information and assistance
- Cultural events and social activities
- Honors program notation on transcript
Students who meet or exceed the following criteria are encouraged to apply for Honors at SSU*; not all applicants will be selected.
Prospective New Tigers
- High school cumulative GPA: 3.4 or higher
- SAT combined score: 1000 or ACT composite score: 21 or higher
- 3.5 GPA or higher
- 2 letters of recommendation (1 faculty, 1 personal)
The application for both new and returning students consists of an application form and specific essay prompts. Returning students who did not apply to Honors as part of their application to the university will also participate in an interview as part of their application process.
*While these criteria serve as guidelines, Honors at SSU takes a holistic approach as we give careful consideration to students who demonstrate potential.