Civil Engineering Technology
Accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The curriculum in civil engineering technology is designed to provide ample instruction in those areas of knowledge required for successful performance in the following capacities as well as in other construction related positions:Architectural and Structural Draftsman and Designer - plans, designs, and supervises construction of frame, steel, and concrete structures; makes architectural inspections and appraisals for architects and builders.
Highway Engineering Technologist - collects and tests soil samples, concrete and other materials to ascertain their physical characteristics for use in highway construction; establishes the location and measurements of points, elevations, lines, areas and contours of land needed for highway construction and prepares hard copy, draft or computer generated drawings of same.
Estimator - determines quantities and costs of materials and labor required to erect structures.
Materials Tester - determines mechanical properties of materials used in the erection of structures and highways.
Surveyor - supervises, directs, and is responsible for the accuracy of the work of an engineering survey party engaged in determining the location and measurements of points, elevations, lines, areas, and contours on the earth's surface for purposes of securing data for building and highway construction, map-making, land-valuation, mining, or other purposes.
Environmental Technologist - Plans, designs, and monitors water, wastewater, and other environmental pollution control systems
CET Expected Student Outcomes:The CET program must demonstrate that the graduates have
- an appropriate mastery of the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of their disciplines
- an ability to apply current knowledge and adapt to emerging applications of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology
- an ability to conduct, analyze and interpret experiments, and apply experimental results to improve processes
- an ability to apply creativity in the design of systems, components, or processes appropriate to program objectives
- an ability to function effectively on teams
- an ability to identify, analyze and solve technical problems
- an ability to communicate effectively
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- an ability to understand professional, ethical and social responsibilities
- a respect for diversity and a knowledge of contemporary professional, societal and global issues
- a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
Civil Engineering Technology Graduation Grid (used by graduating students)