New Tigers (Freshman)
New Tigers are applicants who have been out of high school less than five years from an accredited or approved high school.
As a New Tiger applicant you must submit the following:
- A complete Application for Admission online at gacollege411.com, that is FREE!!
- A complete Certificate of Immunization is required for some Georgia residents and anyone residing outside of the state of Georgia. Check the incomplete documents list on your application status to see if you need to submit a Certificate of Immunization.
Verification of Lawful Presence
In accordance with Board of Regents Policy 4.3.4, all applicants who are accepted for admission or readmission to Savannah State University and who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes, will be required to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States. Acceptance to Savannah State University may be delayed until lawful presence is verified.
The U.S. Department of Education will automatically validate the lawful presence of any student who completes a FAFSA application; therefore, if you are applying for financial aid it will not be necessary for Savannah State University to perform additional verification of your residency status. Otherwise, you will be required to submit one of the following documents to the Office of Admissions:
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (no photocopies)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
- Current U.S. Passport
- GA Driver's License (issued after 1/1/2008)
Optional: Take a snapshot of your GA Driver’s License using cellular phone, email to Admissions@savannahstate.edu.
GA ID Card (issued after 1/1/2008)
U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issue by Dept. of State (DS-1350)
U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561)
U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570)
An official high school transcript (Georgia Residents must submit Georgia High School Graduation Test scores along with transcript; Also it is highly recommended that transcripts be electronically sent to the Admissions Office from schools attended).
An official SAT or ACT scores. (It is highly recommended that scores be electronically sent to the Admissions Office from the testing source. SAT Code:5609 ACT Code:0858) Be sure to register for the test well in advance of the test date to avoid late registration fees and college admission deadline dates.
An official college transcript (if applicable) from each college attended (less than 30 semester transferable hours; it is highly recommended that transcripts be electronically sent to the Admissions Office from schools attended)
Check your status online Here .
Applicants who are currently attending high school must submit a preliminary transcript. Upon high school graduation, an official final high school transcript must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. You will not be allowed to register for classes until we receive your FINAL High School Transcript.
New Tigers Admission Requirements
- Required minimum score on the SAT/ACT. The minimum scores for tests are:
- SAT: Critical Thinking 430/Math - 400
- ACT: English 17/Math 17
- Academic Grade Point Average 2.3
- For Students who graduate from high school in 2012 or later:
- Complete the required 17 Required High School Curriculum courses:
- English - 4 Units (Grammar and usage, Literature (American and World), Advanced composition skills)
- Mathematics - 4 Units (including Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry and also a course at the level of Math 3 or higher).
- Science - 4 Units (Physical Science, at least one laboratory course from Life Science and one laboratory course from Physical Sciences, one biology, and one chemistry, physics or environmental science course).
- Social Science - 3 Units (American History, World History, economics (1/2 unit) and government (1/2units) at least one course should focus on U.S. Studies and one course on World Studies).
- Foreign Language - 2 Units (2 Years of Same Language
- For students that graduated high school prior to 2012:
- 16 Required High School Curriculum (CPC) units (4 math courses; 3 sciences; 3 social sciences; 2years of the same foreign language).
In addition to completing the above RHSC requirements an applicant must meet the following requirements, for full admissions (regular); satisfy the minimum test requirements of a 430 SAT I verbal score (ACT 17) and a 400 SAT I math score (ACT 17) and earn a Freshmen Index (FI) of at least 1940. The FI is calculated by multiplying the academic grade point average (college prep courses only) by 500 and adding the combined SAT I math and verbal scores. For ACT, the FI is calculated by multiplying the college prep courses grade point average by 500, and adding the ACT scores which includes the verbal, math, and composite +88.
Savannah State University will consider applications from students who are educated through a home schooled program who meet the requirements for admission with a diploma from a regionally accredited home study program will be given the same consideration for admission as students with a diploma from a public school. The prospective student should submit a home schooled transcript that includes a list of all coursework (both completed and in progress), showing final grades and units earned for each course completed. A brief description of each course the student has taken or is planning to take (with information regarding the teaching materials including the title and author of all textbooks, DVD's, and other teaching materials utilized) and the methods used for evaluation should accompany the home schooled transcript
Home study programs accredited or approved by the following are acceptable:
- Accrediting Commission for Independent Study
- Association of Christian Schools International
- Georgia Association of Christian Schools
- Georgia Private School Accrediting Commission
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
The following items are required of all Home School applicants:
- Complete Application for Admission online at gacollege411.com, that require an application fee ($20.00)
- A complete Certificate of Immunization form if you are not a Georgia Resident.
- Official SAT I or ACT scores (It is highly recommended that scores be electronically sent to the Admissions Office from the testing source. SAT Code:5609 ACT Code:0858 )
- Official transcripts from any public/private high school or colleges attended (Also it is highly recommended that transcripts be electronically sent to the Admissions Office from schools attended.)
- Check your status online Here .
In addition to the above items, home schooled applicants who have graduated from an accredited high school program are asked to submit an official high school transcript and diploma. Home schooled applicants who have not graduated from an accredited high school program are asked to submit a portfolio that includes:
- Copy of Declaration of Intent to Home School as filed with local Board of Education.
- Copy of a National Standardized High School Summation Exam (12th grade level). (Example; Iowa TAP, SAT II, California Achievement Test, Stanford Achievement Test)
- Completed Required High School Curriculum Credit Worksheet and Home School Credit Evaluation High School course work will be evaluated for completion of the required High School Preparatory Curriculum (17 Units).
- Student and Primary Teacher Certification of completion of high school and date of high school graduation.
Freshman Application Deadlines