Why Savannah State?
- Founded: 1890
- Total enrollment: About 4,600
- Student/faculty ratio: 18:1
- Accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Academic programs: 22 baccalaureate majors and degrees; four graduate
- Faculty: 145
- Financial aid: More than 90 percent of Savannah State students receive some form of scholarship or financial aid.
- Activities: More than 75 clubs, organizations, student publications, honoraries, sororities, and fraternities and intramural sports.
- Athletics: Savannah State is a member of the NCAA Division I AA
- Men's: Football, basketball, baseball, track and field, and golf
- Women's: Basketball, softball, tennis, cross country, track and field, volleyball and golf
- Mascot: Tiger
For years, Savannah State University has been an important part of higher education. As the oldest public HBCU in Georgia and the oldest institution of higher learning in the historic city of Savannah, SSU has served this community with distinction while meeting the educational needs of an increasingly diverse student population.
The 173-acre campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment. I invite you to become a part of the SSU family. Please continue your exploration of Savannah State University - both on the Web and in person – and share our excitement.
Again, welcome to Savannah State University.