Advancement Services provide the backbone of an organization's advancement operations. Our advancement services professionals gather, organize, manage and disseminate information to guide the sound and effective advancement and overall business decisions of the University Advancement department. Advancement Services establishes principles, adheres to guidelines and applies technical solutions to minimize risk, and maximize philanthropic investment, in our organization. We protect and advance the missions of SSU and the interests of those who support the mission.
Description of Advancement Services Functions
Functions that are regularly managed by our advancement services departments include:
- Database management and reporting
- Gift and biographical records management
- Donor relations – donor recognition and stewardship
- Prospect development – prospect research and prospect management
- Systemic staff training and development
- Grants/Endowment establishment & monitoring endowment awards
- Scholarship Management/Stewardship
- Foundation Support
Key Duties of Advancement Services Professionals
As part of their responsibilities, advancement services professionals are routinely called upon to:
- Facilitate fundraising, gift processing, constituent tracking, relationship management, fund management, and stewardship.
- Provide the essential infrastructure of the Advancement enterprise.
- Position their front-line colleagues (fundraisers, alumni officers, etc.) for success in relationships with donors, potential donors, volunteers and other supporters.
- Minimize risks that Management incurs by accurately recording and reporting fundraising information and by securely managing sensitive data.
- Understand, explain and apply all regulations and guidelines governing fundraising, gift processing and gift accounting (IRS, CASE, FASB/GASB, etc.)
- Stay current with trends in Philanthropy and with the technical developments that apply to the profession; communicate and lead their organizations in applying these developments.
Best Practices for Advancement Services
- Accountability & Compliance
- Alumni Participation Rate
- Customer Service Guidelines
- Data Governance
- Volunteer Access to Information
- Reconciliations: Finance, Advancement, and our Foundation
- Policy & Procedures Manual
- Strategic Planning
- Our Advancement Services Vendor Portfolio
- Maximizing Matching Funds/Matching Gift Administration
- PCI Compliance
- Pledge Management
- Reporting Advancement Expenditures and Comparing ROI