Students apply to be admitted as teacher candidates the semester before the professional course sequence (3000 and 4000 level courses). The School of Teacher Education application packet is available from the Field and Clinical Experience Coordinator.
Students who apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program must:
- Complete and submit an application for admission to the School of Teacher Education.
- Successfully complete at least 45 semester hours of accredited college coursework.
- Complete and satisfy a clear criminal history background clearance through Savannah State University Police Department or an external source through the school district assigned for placement, observation, and clinical practice/student teaching.
- Complete 30 clock hours of field experience.
- Submit a verification of tort liability insurance.
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average (with grade of C or higher) for designated courses in the system core curriculum Areas A - F.
- Submit passing scores on the GACE Program Admission Assessment or be exempt by acceptable SAT (totaling 1000 or more in Reading & Math) or ACT (totaling 43 in English & Math) scores.
- Complete EDUC 2110, EDUC 2120, and EDUC 2130 with grades of C or higher.
- Submit a positive recommendation along with the character disposition survey from a faculty member at Savannah State University.
- Submit a Philosophy of Teaching.
- Complete an interview with representative(s) of the Teacher Education Council (TEC).
There are additional fees associated with educator preparation that will be reviewed with students after admission.