SSU's Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), "The Write Attitude," was designed specifically for students. The ability to communicate in written form is vital to one's success, and generally, good writers have a positive attitude about writing. Consequently, we made the improvement of writing attitudes our goal with the QEP.
We have a myriad of ways to implement this goal. We work with your professors to ensure that writing is used frequently and effectively in the classroom. Outside of the classroom, we host a number of ways for students to get involved.
- Academic Research and the Ethics of Writing Series: Developed to emphasize the writing-related principles of information literacy. Plagiarism is one of the main topics.
- Essay-Writing Improvement Series: Designed to strengthen students' essay writing skills and enhance their attitudes toward writing.
- Grammar Extravaganza Series: Grammar workshops held once a week every semester.
- Lunch and Learn "Real World Writing" Series: Topics presented by community leaders and employers. Lunch is always provided.
- The "Write Page" Book Group: Thought-provoking discussions held every semester including works of fiction and nonfiction.
- Game Write: Game nights that include traditional games with a twist as well as original games.
- Open-Mic Write: On-the-spot creative writing and talent showcase. Winners receive prizes.
- Write for Change: A variety of writing contests. Winners receive prizes.
- Writing for the Disciplines Series: Students are exposed to differing disciplinary conventions and expectations in these workshops.
- Writing for the Professions Series: This series emphasizes the importance of proper professional writing.
- QEP Movie Night: Evenings spent watching movies and participating in related critical thinking activities.
- QEP Collaborations: Events where the QEP has collaborated with other campus- and community-based organizations.
- The Write News: An e-newsletter that is released every semester, packed with relevant stories, data, resources, and interviews about writing.
- Plagiarism and Academic Honesty at SSU: A guide to help students understand the concept of plagiarism, how students can avoid plagiarism, and the consequences of academic dishonesty and plagiarism at SSU.
In addition, we offer students opportunities to work with the QEP. Opportunities include:
- QEP Student Ambassadors: Student volunteers for the QEP that assist in hosting campus initiatives and events that influence the larger student population to participate in and embody "The Write Attitude."
- Peer Writing Tutors: Student employees who work in the SSU Writing Center. The center is located in Payne Hall, Room 201.
- Student Writing Fellows: Student employees who are paired with specific classes to assist the professors and students with the writing in their courses.
Please read, download, and share The Write Attitude brochure for Students.