Center for Faculty Excellence
The Center for Faculty Excellence (CFE):
The Center for Faculty Excellence (CFE), sponsored by Title III, will support faculty in the areas of teaching, research, service and professional development. Given the expertise in their chosen fields of study, this center will focus on development and enhancement of skills and abilities in instruction, research and service. Emphasis will be placed on enhancement of instructional skills with anticipation of improving completion rates of the students who take classes from participating faculty members.
Contact: Dr. Lisa Yount, QEP Director, at yountL@savannahstate.edu
Campus Learning Community:
2017-2018 Campus Learning Communites for Faculty and Instructional Staff members
The Center for Faculty Excellence (through Title III) would like to invite Faculty and Instructional Staff members to participate in two learning community options this academic year.
1) One community theme will focus on Best Practices in Developmental Education. The core text will be What Works: Research-Based Practices in Developmental Education (H.R. Boylan).
2) The other community theme will focus on Metacognition and Motivation. The core text will be Teach Students How to Learn: Strategies You Can Incorporate Into Any Course to Improve Student Metacognition, Study Skills, and Motivation (Saundra McGuire).
*Each community group will not exceed 10 participants.*
For more information and registration, please click here.
2016-2017 Campus Learning Communites for Faculty and Instructional Staff members
Dr. McGuire's book discussion sessions: Teach Students How to Learn: Strategies You Can Incorporate Into Any Course to Improve Student Metacognition, Study Skills, and Motivation
Part 1: March 28, 2017 & March 29, 2017
Part 2: April 11, 2017 & April 12, 2017
Our goal is to learn from Dr. McGuire's research and to apply those insights to improving the SSU student learning process and our student-centered environment.
The initiative was developed by the Center for Faculty Excellence (supported by Title III).
January 4, 2017, 10:30 am - 12:30 pm - Spring Assembly 2017
Saundra Y. McGuire, Ph.D., Ret. Assistant Vice Chancellor & Professor of Chemistry, Director Emerita, Center for Academic Success, Louisiana State University
Faculty Development Workshops:
September 28, 2017
Strategic Planning for Promotion and Tenure, presented by Dr. Lisa Yount, QEP Director and Center for Faculty Excellence Director
August 10-11, 2017
Developmental Education Training - Dr. Wes Anthony, Kellogg Institute Director, National Association of Developmental Education
- Principles of Developmental Education
- Best Instructional Practices in Developmental Education
- Learning Needs & Classroom Technology--Considerations for the Developmental Education Classroom
August 1, 2017: 9 am - 4:30pm
Professional Development Day for Faculty and Staff - Fall 2017
Concurrent Workshop Sessions for Staff and Faculty: Pedagogy Trainings, Policy/ Process Trainings, and Platform Trainings
- Active Shooter Training
- Assessing Capstone Experiences through Digital Stories
- Best Practices in Budgeting
- Classroom Assessment Expectations for Individual Faculty Members
- Engaging Staff in Student Success
- E-Procurement (Purchasing Requisition System) Overview
- General Education Assignment Design Session
- Libris Alma/Primo: Introducing the Next Generational Library Services Platform
- Managing Faculty Assessment in LiveText
- Moving Peer Review to the Center of our Writing Instruction
- OneUSG Initiative
- Retention and the Success Collaborative Campus
- Study Abroad Program Manager and Chaperone Training
- Tiger Scholar Commons
- Travel Protocols
- Using D2L to Effectively Manage Your Classroom with Technology
Please click here to visualize and print the Professional Development Day Agenda.
November 18, 2016, 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
November 9 (10 - 11:30 am) & 10 (2 - 3:30 pm), 2016
"Academic Assessment 101," presented by Dr. Kate McConnell, Senior Director for Research and Assessment at the American Association for Colleges and Universities (AAC&U).
October 26, 2016, 4-5 pm
"Complementing the Classroom: Developing and Assessing Co-Curricular Learning Outcomes," presented by Dr. Mihaela Munday, SSU School of Teacher Education.