Peace Corps Prep - Global Citizenship Certificate
Savannah State offers a certificate in global citizenship. The certificate also prepares students to be volunteers with the Peace Corps.
Peace Corps sectors were matched with SSU majors to maximize matching required SSU classes and training hours for the Peace Corps. Each sector requires learning in four areas. Training and experience within the major, foreign language skills, intercultural competence, and professional and leadership development.
Global Citizenship Certificate: 24-35 credit hours
- Training and experience within the major: 9-17 hours
- Foreign language skills: 6-9 hours
- Interculture competence: 9 hours (courses vary by major)
- Professional and leadership development: Completion of at least one year as officer with student organization or at least one study abroad program
Global Citizenship with Distinction Certificate: 36+ credit hours
- Training and experience within the major: 18+ hours
- Foreign language skills: 9+ hours
- Interculture competence: 9+ hours (courses vary by major)
- Professional and leadership development: Completion of at least two years as officer with student organization, at least one summer study abroad program or semester exchange program and at least 10 hours of volunteering.
Students do not have to join the Peace Corps in order to obtain the certificate, however, completion of the certificate counts as training hours for the Peace Corps, should they choose to join.
The Peace Corps offers placements in the areas of education, health, environment, agriculture, youth in development and community economic development. SSU majors that often encompass these areas are teacher education, biology, chemistry, environmental science, marine science, social work, sociology, computer science technology, homeland security and emergency management, urban studies, political science, public administration, business administration and global logistics.