Benefits at a Glance

Can I change my coverage during the years?

The health, dental, supplemental life insurance, and flexible spending account elections you request during your initial enrollment will remain in effect for the entire plan (calendar) year. You can change the level of coverage or cancel your participation in the plans only if you experience an IRS-approved change in family status.

If you experience a family status change, contact Human Resources to request the change in your benefits. THIS MUST BE DONE WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE CHANGE IN FAMILY STATUS. You will also be required to furnish proof of the change in family status.

Learn more about the IRS family status change regulations.

Health Insurance Retirement
Dental Insurance Flexible Spending Accounts
Life Insurance Paid Days Off
Tax Deferred Annuities Other Services & Activities
Can I change my coverage during the year?