Community Assistant Position
What Is A Community Assistant?The Community Assistant (CA) is an integral part of the University Housing and Residence Life at Savannah State University. They are the staff members who have the most direct and constant contact with our students. Their primary responsibility is to act as a facilitator for the residence hall community and to enhance the social, educational, spiritual, intellectual, physical, vocational, cultural, and environmental development of each of their residents. The CA represents University Housing and Residence Life and acts as a role model for students.
How To Become A Community Assistant?
Community Assistant Recruitment
University Housing and Residence Life search committee are committed to selecting the most qualified applicants for Community Assistant position. Community Assistant Recruitment and selection is done every academic semester (Fall/Spring). If you are interested in becoming a CA be on the lookout for information via email and flyer promotion on campus.
General Requirements Include:
- Residency in on-campus housing for at least one full year (Two Semesters)
- Carry a course load of 12 credit hours a semester minimum and 18 credit hours a semester maximum
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 2.5 and the maintenance of that GPA during term of employment
- Be in good academic, judicial and financial standing with the University
- Ability to balance academic, employment, personal and co-curricular commitments
- Successful completion of an extensive selection process that includes completion of a CA job shadowing process, individual interview, group interview and application process.
- A minimum of 6 Tiger Stripes and 10 Community Service hours
- Must have 30 credit hours before applying (Sophomore Status)
What Does A Community Assistant Do?
Six of the basic roles of the CA are
- Community Facilitator
- Referral Agent
- Team Member
- University Representative
What Are The Benefits Of Being A Community Assistant?
Benefits & Compensation
- $150 bi-weekly stipend for the academic year
- Community Assistants are guaranteed on-campus housing
- Community Assistants will receive a single room
- Early move-in to assigned residence hall
- Valuable leadership and communication opportunities with the University community
Community Assistant Job Description
- PDF Link
Community Assistant Recruitment Brochure
- PDG Link
If you are selected as a Community Assistant, please note that all trainings, move-in and move-out dates are not negotiable and require full time commitment.