Course Delivery Method
Online education at SSU refers to learning through courses that deliver more than one-half of instruction online to students using distance technologies. Below is a summary of course delivery methods at SSU.
What percentage of the course is delivered online?
- Face-to-Face: More than 50% of scheduled class time requires face-to-face meetings. These are not online education courses and are not shown on SSU Online.
- Hybrid online: 51% to 99% of scheduled class time is online. The remaining class time requires face-to-face meetings.
- Fully online: 100% of scheduled class time is online. Orientation, period tests, final exams, or labs may require students to meet on campus or at an approved proctored location.
When do the instructor and students interact?
- Synchronous: All students join the instructor for online class meetings at the same time from different locations. Blackboard Collaborate is often used as the delivery technology. In some courses, the instructor shares recordings of the online meetings with the students for future viewing.
- Asynchronous: Instructors make the class instruction available online for the students to access at any time from any location. Courses are typically accessible via Blackboard. Students generally must adhere to an established schedule of due dates.