- If you are asked for personal information, learn how it is going to be used and be sure that the site is secure. A secure site has the 'https' in front of the web link. Notice the small letter 's' in https, which stands for 'secure'.
- Do not open unsolicited e-mail, especially attachments.
NOTE: If you do not know the sender â€" do not open the e-mail.
- Read website privacy policies.
- Do not send personal information through e-mails especially on ListServs that go out to a large number of people.
- Be sure to encrypt or password-protect important information on hardware devices like flash drives, disks or hard drives that can be lost or stolen.
- Use Anti-Virus software, a Firewall and Anti-Spyware software.
- On your home computer update your operating system and Web browser regularly. Download Patches when available.
- Use complex passwords