Civil Engineering Technology
Accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The curriculum in civil engineering technology is designed to provide ample instruction in those areas of knowledge required for successful performance in the following capacities as well as in other construction related positions:Architectural and Structural Draftsman and Designer - plans, designs, and supervises construction of frame, steel, and concrete structures; makes architectural inspections and appraisals for architects and builders.
Highway Engineering Technologist - collects and tests soil samples, concrete and other materials to ascertain their physical characteristics for use in highway construction; establishes the location and measurements of points, elevations, lines, areas and contours of land needed for highway construction and prepares hard copy, draft or computer generated drawings of same.
Estimator - determines quantities and costs of materials and labor required to erect structures.
Materials Tester - determines mechanical properties of materials used in the erection of structures and highways.
Surveyor - supervises, directs, and is responsible for the accuracy of the work of an engineering survey party engaged in determining the location and measurements of points, elevations, lines, areas, and contours on the earth's surface for purposes of securing data for building and highway construction, map-making, land-valuation, mining, or other purposes.
Environmental Technologist - Plans, designs, and monitors water, wastewater, and other environmental pollution control systems
Program Educational Objectives:
The Civil Engineering Technology Program adopts the following educational objectives. The educational objectives for the program are designed to educate and improve the ability of students to become competent and creative professionals contributing effectively for fulfilling the employment needs of today and of the future. Within 2-5 years of graduation, the Civil Engineering Technology graduates will be able to:
"Demonstrate competency in identifying and analyzing technical problems, problem solving, design of systems, and application of modern tools."
"Advance through their professional career by demonstrating their ability to function in multidisciplinary teams and participate in ongoing professional development."
"Express themselves effectively in both oral and written communication, understand social responsibilities, appreciate diversity, commit to continuous improvement, and maintain professional competency through life-long learning."
CET Expected Student Outcomes:The CET program must demonstrate that the graduates have
- an ability to select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to broadly-defined engineering technology activities;
- an ability to select and apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies;
- an ability to conduct standard tests and measurements; to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments; and to apply experimental results to improve processes;
- an ability to design systems, components, or processes for broadly-defined engineering technology problems appropriate to program educational objectives;
- an ability to function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team;
- an ability to identify, analyze, and solve broadly-defined engineering technology problems;
- an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature;
- an understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development;
- an understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities including a respect for diversity;
- a knowledge of the impact of engineering technology solutions in a societal and global context; and
- a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
Civil Engineering Technology Graduation Grid (used by graduating students)