Only full-time students are eligible to represent the College in extra-curricular or co-curricular activities. Academically, students must possess a cumulative quality point index of 1.80 after the first two semesters of their freshman year and 2.00 after all succeeding years and must be making satisfactory progress towards a degree.
Satisfactory progress is defined as the successful completion of 24 semester hours during the academic year (August 15 to August 15). However, an exception to the undergraduate full-time course load is permitted during the final semester before graduation Except for reasons of academic and non-academic suspension or dismissal, students who possess a cumulative quality point index of 2.00 (1.80 after their freshman year) will be eligible to represent the College in extra-curricular or co-curricular activities until the following August 15.
Students who are ineligible academically to represent the College will regain their eligibility as soon as they attain a cumulative 2.00 quality point index.
Under ordinary circumstances, full-time transfer students become eligible to represent the College upon enrollment in Savannah State University as a full-time student. Once enrolled, transfer students must maintain the same academic standards established for all students.
General Requirements for Good Academic Standing and Satisfactory Progress:
Academic Good Standing
Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher
For all SSU students, the minimum cumulative GPA requirement for academic good standing is 2.0. All students must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0 each semester. All students must also achieve or maintain a GPA of at least 2.0, as well as satisfy all course requirements for the degree, in order to graduate.
Approved by SSU Executive Leadership Council in September 2013
Athletic Eligibility Requirements
The student-athlete is required to meet all College academic requirements as well as the eligibility rules of the NCAA Division I and the GLVC Conference and affiliate conferences. Specifically these requirements are as follows:
- All undergraduate students competing in intercollegiate varsity and junior varsity teams must be enrolled in at least 12 semester hours of course work at all times during the playing season and during any post-season competition. (Article 220.127.116.11.2)
- You cannot drop below 12 hours for even one day. If you are making course changes that could involve a temporary drop below 12 hours, be sure to add a new course into your schedule before dropping your old one.
- The only exceptions are for graduate students and seniors who need less than 12 hours to graduate.
- All undergraduate students must satisfactorily complete 24 semester hours of acceptable degree credit during each year of College enrollment and prior to the beginning of each new season of competition. (August 15 to August 15). This is an average of 12 hours per semester. (Article 18.104.22.168)
- The calculation of the grade-point average used to fulfill "satisfactory completion" requirements shall be based upon hours earned or accepted for degree credit in a specific baccalaureate program. (Article 22.214.171.124.1). See the current Savannah State University Catalog for requirements for specific programs and degrees.
- After the completion of the freshman year: 1.80
- After the completion of the sophomore year and subsequent seasons: 2.00
- Student-athletes shall designate a program of studies leading toward a specific degree by the beginning of the junior year or third year of enrollment. (Article 126.96.36.199) Student-athletes shall complete the Declaration of Major Form at the beginning of their fifth semester.
- Student-athletes shall have four years of eligibility and shall complete his or her seasons of participation during the first 10 semesters in which the student is enrolled in a collegiate institution in at least a minimum full-time program of studies. (Article 14.2.2)
- Student-athletes who have a point standing problem at the end of the spring semester must attend summer school at Savannah State in order to improve their point standing. Hours taken at other pre-approved educational institutions will transfer, but point standings will not transfer.
- Conference Eligibility Requirements (15.A.3.a) Effective date: Students enrolling after January 1, 1993 a. Any student-athlete who has been enrolled in a collegiate institution as a full-time student for four semesters or who has utilized two seasons of competition, and who has attended the member institution for at least one semester, must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher to be eligible, regardless of the institution's definition of good standing. Enrollment and competition include all transfer work; the GPA includes only work at the member institution. Failure to observe any of these guidelines can jeopardize your eligibility and your scholarship.