Am I Homeless?
(Subtitle VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, re-authorized under Title X, Part C of NCLB)
The term homeless children and youth
- means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residenceâ€¦; and
- children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
- children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
- children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
- Migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described previously.