Graduate Health Insurance
Mandatory Ship (Student Health Insurance Plans) Categories
- All graduate students receiving a Full Tuition Waiver as part of their graduate assistantship award.
- All undergraduate, graduate and ESL international students holding F or J visas.
- All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in programs that require proof of health insurance.
- All graduate students receiving fellowships that fully fund their tuition.
- International Scholars.
- All Medical College of Georgia (MCG) students will be under the Mandatory Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan.
Students who fall into one of these categories and are already covered by an insurance policy (i.e. through parent plans, family plans or employer-sponsored plans) can easily opt out of the plan through a secure on-line process. Once the information has been verified, all charges will be waived. Students (both undergraduate and graduate) who fail to submit creditable health insurance information will automatically be enrolled in and billed for the system-wide student health insurance plan. Check with your campus for the exact deadline dates for submitting a waiver.
To obtain a waiver students should visit the link below, "Approved Waivers and the Waiver Process."
What are the Minimum Requirements?
- Both accident and sickness coverage
- Minimum benefit $50,000 per accident or sickness*
- Coverage for all pre-existing conditions
- Reasonable deductible and/or co-pay per individual, per year
- In-patient and outpatient, mental and nervous disorder benefits
- Substance and alcohol abuse treatment coverage
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Pay benefits worldwide
- Medical evacuation and family reunification of not less than $10,000*
- Provision for repatriation of not less than $7,500*
- All Georgia mandated requirements
(Georgia mandates coverage for the following to be paid as any other sickness (except under certain coverages wherein there may be internal limits): maternity expenses and routine newborn care, including 48 hours care in a Hospital or birthing facility following a normal vaginal delivery and a minimum 96 hours following a cesarean section. If a mother and newborn are discharged prior to the postpartum inpatient length of stay, coverage includes up to 2 Post-Partum Visits, provided that the first such visit shall occur within 48 hours of discharge; Benefits for Mammography, Pap Smears, Chlamydia Screening; Benefits for Drug Treatment of Children's Cancer; Mastectomy Benefits; Dental Anesthesia Benefits; Benefits for Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) tests; Prescribed Contraceptives; and Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction. The policy would also provide benefits for any other applicable mandated benefits. All mandated benefits are subject to the terms and conditions applicable to other benefits provided under the policy.
(*Federal Standards for International Students.)
Approved Waivers & the Waiver Process
The Waiver Process
Students in one of the mandatory groups that have comparable coverage can opt to waive out of the System-wide student health insurance plan by taking the following steps. You will need to have your insurance policy information readily available when you start the waiver process.
- Log on to www.uhcsr.com/savannahstate. Find your state/school from the dropdown box and click 'go.' Click on the Waive link from the menu to the left and fill out the form(s) set up for your institution.
- The USG's current provider will receive your request for a waiver and you will receive an email and a confirmation number verifying that you have successfully submitted your waiver. If you do not receive this email, resubmit your waiver request.
- Your request is then sent for verification.
- Your insurance plan will be verified that it meets the current requirements using the University System of Georgia approved minimum requirement guidelines.
- Once your request is reviewed, an email is sent either stating your plan has been approved or has been denied. If approved, the school will remove the charge from your tuition bill. If denied, the email will state the reason(s) why your plan is not approved. At this time you will be given 10 business days to appeal.
Appealing your Waiver
Log into your secure student health insurance account at www.studentinsurance.com www.uhcsr.com/savannahstate by finding your institution and clicking on the "Student Login" button at the top of the page.
- Select the semester for which you are appealing and click "view".
- Click on the "Appeal Waiver" link to the right.
- Submit all information requested to assist the Appeals Committee as they review your request. (You will be emailed directly if more information is necessary.)
- The University System of Georgia Appeals Committee will review your request. Again, they will determine that your current policy meets their approved minimum requirements.
- Final decision will be emailed to you from the Office of Fiscal Affairs.
Waiver and Appeal deadline dates are strictly enforced.