Savannah State University offers scholarships to undergraduates and graduates from private, federal, state and university-funded sources. The eligibility requirements for each scholarship vary. Criteria for merit-based scholarships include academic achievement, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, awards, and honors. Students with GPAs from 2.0 to 2.9 are also encouraged to apply.
Submit a scholarship application to be considered for an award for the upcoming academic year.
If selected to receive a private scholarship, a student must prepare a Scholarship Thank You Letter and have it validated by the University's Stewardship Coordinator BEFORE receiving the scholarship award. Guidelines for and assistance with preparing the thank-you letter is available in the Office of University Advancement on the 1st floor of Gardner Hall.
For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at (912) 358-4162 or email@example.com. Athletic scholarship information is available through the Athletic Department at (912) 358-3449.
James H. Porter Academic Scholarship
The James H. Porter Scholarship provides financial assistance to students attending Albany State University, Fort Valley State University and Savannah State University. Awards are anywhere from $1,000.00 - $5,000.00 annually.
The scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students matriculating at SSU.
Must be a Georgia Resident
- Must be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours)
- Students with no previous college credit (freshman) must have an SAT (critical reading and mathematics) of 1000 or higher or ACT composite of 21 or higher and a high school GPA in academic subjects of 3.0 or better.
- Students with prior college experience must meet freshman requirements and have a college GPA of 3.3 or better.
- Must be enrolled full-time (at least 6 credit hours)
- Must have a minimum undergraduate GPA 3.3 or higher
- Must have a minimum score of 1100 (verbal and quantitative) or higher on the GRE or; 500 or higher on the GMAT or; meet program admission test score requirements
Awards are limited to four years (undergraduate) and two years (graduate).
Must maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher and re-apply annually.
This list is not by any means comprehensive and is provided for your information and convenience only. The inclusion or exclusion of a particular site should not be interpreted as an endorsement or lack thereof by Savannah State University.
SIT Study Abroad