SSU HistorySavannah State University, founded in 1890, is the oldest public historically black college in Georgia. Originally named Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth, SSU was located in Athens, Georgia for several months in 1891. On October 7, 1891, SSU moved to its permanent location in Savannah. Major Richard R. Wright Sr. served as the institution's first president from 1891-1921.
Under the administration of the school's third President, Benjamin F. Hubert, the college became a full-time degree granting institution in 1928. Four years later, Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youths was renamed Georgia State College.
During the tenure of the college's fifth president, Dr. William K. Payne, the school became Savannah State College. In 1996, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia granted the school university status and the institution was renamed Savannah State University.
President's of Savannah State University
Dr. Earl G. Yarbrough Sr., 2007 - 2011
Dr. Julius Scott, 2007
Carlton E. Brown, 1997- 2006
John T. Wolfe Jr., 1993-1997
William E. Gardner Jr., 1989-1991
Wendell G. Rayburn, 1980-1988
Prince A. Jackson Jr., 1971-1978
Howard Jordan Jr. , 1963-1971
William K. Payne, 1949-1963
James A. Colston, 1947-1949
Benjamin F. Hubert, 1926-1947
Cyrus G. Wiley, 1921-1926
Richard R. Wright, 1891-1921
Acting Presidents of Savannah State University
Annette K. Brock, 1991-1993
Wiley S. Bolden,1988-1989
Clyde W. Hall, 1978-1980
Timothy Meyers, 1949