Office of Naval Research (ONR)
Students Engaged in Naval STEM Research (SENSR)
$600 Fall/Spring Stipends
$4,000 Summer Stipends
Supplies for Projects Covered
Travel Costs/Reimbursements Covered
The goal of the ONR-funded SENSR project is to give first research opportunities to Freshmen and Sophomore Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics majors. This low-stakes research opportunity provides a modest stipend for part-time research during the semester. If successful, this first research experience could lead to additional full-time summer or part-time year-long internships.
Eligibility: Freshmen or Sophomore standing (< 60 credit hours); Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) major in the College of Science and Technology (COST), Homeland Security and Emergency Management major in College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS), or other field conducting relevant Naval STEM research; Minimum 2.5 GPA for freshmen, 2.75 GPA for sophomores.
- (Semester-long) Conduct research with mentor for 5-7 hours per week for 10 weeks. (Summer-long) Conduct research with mentor for 40 hours per week for 8 weeks.
- Bi-monthly meetings with Program Directors (Drs. Hintz and Hayder) to discuss research and listen to project-specific presentations by Program Directors, outside guests, and fellow students.
- Participate in field trip (one per semester) to Naval Military Installation or ONR-funded Research Laboratory
- Participate in >5 hours of community service or outreach for a local K-12 students
- Presentation of research to Program Directors and fellow students
To Apply: Download the ONR SENSR Application and complete using Microsoft Word. Complete applications should be submitted to Dr. Hintz (email@example.com) or Dr. Hayder (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For questions about the program contact:
Dr. Christopher Hintz
Dr. Mir Hayder