Marine Science Orientation Cruises
Marine Environment Orientation Cruise Opportunities
The College of Sciences and Technology, Department of Natural Sciences and Marine Sciences Program are pleased to announce opportunities for SSU community and community partners to explore our natural laboratory of coastal estuary and saltmarsh aboard the R/V MARGARET C. ROBINSON.
The cruises will last from 1-2 hours (see schedule page) and will depart from the SSU dock behind the Marine Sciences building on campus. Reservations are strongly recommended; however, if you have filled out the release form (see instructions below), have it with you, and if space is available, you may be able to "walk on".
To reserve a spot as a participant on an orientation cruise:
- Go to the Orientation Cruise Schedule page to check cruise dates, times, and availability of spots.
- If a cruise is available, send a reservation request with your full name and "Cruise Reservation Request" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. List your affiliation (e.g. student, staff, faculty, other), age, and cruise date/time that you are requesting in the body of your email.
- You will receive a confirmation if the spot is still available.
- Plan to arrive 10 minutes prior to departure time to fill out and sign a Liability Release Hold Harmless Agreement for Off-Campus Field Trips/Activities Form (copies will be available in the lobby of the Marine Science building but you can also download and fill out ahead of time).
- You will need to board the vessel 5 minutes prior to departure time in order to get a safety briefing and instructions from the captain and crew. NOTE: If you miss the safety briefing, you will not be able to board.
- Fill out a survey form on board.
Marine Science students, staff and faculty will be available on board to conduct the cruise and will be at the dock and Marine Science building to answer questions.