Third Party Awards
Third Party Awards is the process we use to bill an outside organization for your tuition and/or fees. Third Party Award billing is unique in that the organization requires a bill from the institution before remitting payment. If you are expecting a third party to pay your tuition and other fees, you will need to make special arrangements with our office to bill that organization.
As a student receiving funds from a third party donor, you have the following responsibilities:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org before the semester begins to let us know you're expecting a third party award payment. Notifying our office will help you avoid a late fee on your account, and being dropped from classes for non-payment. The e-mail should include your name, student ID number, the donating organization's name, the term you are expecting the award, and the estimated amount.
- Provide your organization with the correct Student Financial Services contact information for them to forward the authorization to bill for your account. (Please see below for details.)
- Ensure that the billing authorization from your organization is forwarded to Student Financial Services at least two weeks prior to the payment deadline. If we do not have your authorization on file by the deadline, we cannot guarantee that your classes will not be dropped for non-payment.
- Pay any charges on your account that your organization does not cover by the payment deadline to avoid being dropped from your classes for non-payment.
- Check your student account balance regularly via PAWS. Third party awards cannot be calculated until after the drop/add period. If your third party payment has not been posted to your account by the end of the 4th week of class, please feel free to contact our office.
Written authorization is required to establish a contract to bill your organization for your student account charges. Our office must have a billing authorization from your organization on file in order for payment to be made. The authorization letter or voucher must be on your organization's letterhead, and include the original signature of an authorized official to obligate payment by the company/organization.
Authorization forms must be submitted via one of the following methods, at least two weeks prior to the advertised payment deadline:
Third Party Awards
- E-mail: email@example.com
- 3rd Party Awards & Scholarship Line at the Cashier's Office window
- 3rd Party Awards & Scholarship Drop-box on the right side of the Cashier's Office window
Savannah State University
Student Financial Services
ATTN: Third Party Billing
3219 College St.
Savannah, GA 31404
This billing authorization must:
- Indicate your full legal name and student ID number.
- Itemize the type of charges that the organization will be responsible for covering on your account. (Example: tuition, housing, mandatory fees, books, etc.) The most up-to-date fee information can be found on our Tuition and Fees page.
- Stipulate the exact begin and end dates of the period for which the organization will pay your charges. (Note: If the organization wishes to continue paying after the established end date, a new bill authorization is required.) The authorization will only be valid for one academic year. Your organization must submit a new authorization each academic year, in order to continue the process.
- Indicate the name, billing address, phone number, and email of the contact person at the organization that is responsible for payment.
Our office may apply a conditional credit to your student account as long as your authorization form is on file. We will then bill the organization after the drop/add period to receive payment for your award. Students who do not receive full payment of all tuition, fees, housing, etc. are responsible for paying all remaining charges by the payment deadline.
Third Party Awards
If your third party organization fails to pay the authorized charges within 60 days from when they are billed, their conditional credit will be reversed and you will be responsible for the unpaid charges. A financial hold and late fees may be placed on your student account until the balance is paid in full. We encourage you to remain in contact with your organization until the terms of the billing authorization have been met.
Third Party Awards Contacts
Please send all third party award related information to the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail address or fax it to (912) 358-4380.
For third party award related inquiries, please feel free to contact: