GEAR UP Program
Gaining Early Awareness And Readiness
For Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP)
- The GEAR UP program is designed to increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
- GEAR UP grantees serve an entire cohort of students beginning no later than the seventh grade and follow the cohort through their first year of college.
- GEAR UP is unique from other initiatives. This program has partners committed to serving and accelerating the academic achievement of cohorts of students through their first year of college.
- GEAR UP partnerships supplement existing reform efforts, offer services that promote academic preparation and the understanding of necessary costs to attend college.
- Coordinated Educational Services
- Structured Mentoring Programs
- Early Exposure to College Preparation
- College Preparation Workshops
- Financial Aid Seminars
- Parent Conferences & College Visits
- Professional Development for Teachers
- School Improvement Resources
- Tutor/Mentors for Classrooms
The mission of the GEAR UP Program is to ensure middle school students are academically prepared for and motivated to pursue and succeed in obtaining a postsecondary education.